Disclaimer

The information in Holistic at Heart is not a substitute for professional medical advice, examination, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health professional before starting any new treatment or making any changes to existing treatment. Do not delay seeking or disregard medical advice based on information in this blog.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Spirituality and Perfection

Isn't funny that so many people expect religious and spiritual leaders to be perfect? As if following a spiritual path somehow exempts you from facing challenges and making mistakes. I guess some people feel that way about spirituality. They think that becoming spiritual means leaving behind any vices and becoming some sort of "perfect" saint. Even those of us who don't consciously ascribe to this belief are often disappointed when someone we look up to makes a mistake. Sometimes it causes us to re-examine what we have learned from that person, as if a single mistake can undo all good someone has ever said and done. Talk about pressure!

I think there's interesting relationship between spirituality and perfection. The definition of perfection I'm talking about here is "being entirely without fault or defect."[1] I think some people view God (or the Universe, or whatever you like to call it) as perfect, and that spirituality is an attempt to be closer to God. Does that mean we are striving for perfection?

Every time I think about this, my head goes in circles. Humans are, by definition, imperfect and cannot simply become perfect. So is there really any point in trying? On the other hand, I don't think there's anything wrong in trying to follow your spiritual path and bringing a little of God's perfection into your life. I guess my feeling is that human imperfection is perfect.

I believe that part of the reason we are here is to learn lessons and grow as spiritual beings. Ultimately, I think that's what makes the Universe expands and what makes life possible. The only way we can do that is if we are imperfect enough to need to grow and learn.

So as I see it, it is necessary and perfect that we are imperfect. It is also necessary and perfect that we change so that we are able to grow and learn. I accept that where I am at in my life right now is perfect! Do you feel the need to be perfect?

[1] Merriam-Webster, s.v. "Perfect," http://www.merriam-webster.com/ (accessed January 7, 2011).

No comments:

Post a Comment